Here are some crazy fruit facts that will make you go ‘WHAT’!?
1. Pumpkins and avocados are fruits not vegetables.
2. Japanese farmers grow different shaped watermelons including squares, hearts and triangles that can sell for up to $100 (£72.04 at present).
3. The rarest banana in the world is called the Madagascar banana. It’s considered the most important banana in the world and saving the last 5 trees could be crucial.
4. Pineapples are actually a group of berries; the name came from European explorers because they thought it looked like a pinecone.
5. Blackberries and strawberries are not actually berries, they are an aggregate fruit. What’s that? It means it’s a fruit that grows on a single flower with more than one ovary.
6. It is believed that the three holes on the coconut resemble a face, so the fruit was honored with the name “coco”, meaning “grin” or “grinning” and the nut part of coconut was added later but in the English language.
7. The worlds stinkiest fruit is called durian and it’s well described as a mixture of raw sewage, onion and rotten eggs, it smells so bad that it has been banned in some hotels and public transport in Southeast Asia.
8. Apples can increase mental alertness because they have a high level of boron. Eating an apple is said be give you more of an energy boost than drinking one cup of coffee, as well as being healthier for you.
9. The blow fish fruit is a pine covered yellow outer shell African horned cucumber, originally from Africa and was used for eczema and renal problems.
10. Peppers are known as a vegetable but are actually a fruit and other than being used for spices people believe that they have “pepper power”, so if you sprinkle pepper into a wound it will help it heal quicker.