Stress. A small word with a huge impact.
Feeling stressed and having to deal with pressure are parts of our daily lives. However, some levels of stress are normal and can motivate us to strive for more. However, over-stressing can have a detrimental impact on our mental health.
There are several aspects that may cause us to become overwhelmed with stress. It is important to identify when we’re stressed and work out what has led us to feel that way. If we can’t identify the cause, it is important to at least have ways to cope with it.
A state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or demanding circumstances.– Definition taken from Google
Use this day to become aware of what may be causing tension in your life, and familiarise yourself with methods to deal with it. Ensuring coping mechanisms are in place can lower the effect that stress will have on our mental / physical health and livelihoods. Although stress is an issue mentally; stress has the potential to cause physical discomfort if it gets too serious.
Here’s NetworthPick’s own guide to coping with stress:
- Crocheting – This is a method of making products by using a crochet hook to interlink loops of yarn, thread, or from other materials.
- Watching your favourite film / series in bed.
- Exercise – Going for a walk, swimming or going for a run. Playing team sports, such as basketball, is also great as it allows you to socialise whilst exercising.
- Listening to music (with LED lights on) – Music can be a soothing way to calm ourselves down and give you something else to focus on.
- Spending time with loved ones – Remember that our furry friends count, whether it’s cuddling your pet or spending quality time with family / friends. Surrounding ourselves with people we feel comfortable around can be a huge comfort and way to destress.
- Relaxing – Often we can become stressed from doing too much, taking the time to sit back and do nothing can be a wonderful way to refresh our minds.
- Writing – Whether it’s poetry, music or how you feel in a book, expressing how we feel can help us to release the feeling.
- Organising – This may not fix what is causing you stress, but having a tidy surrounding can help you to organise your thoughts. Often our environment can affect us mentally. Cluttered surroundings can add stress.
UK Services for Mental Health
USA Services for Mental Health
Mikayla is a budding Fashion and Graphic Designer, she has her own brand, inspired by Mental Health, called “The Mattah”. Through her brand she discuses her own struggles with mental health and encourages others to express how they feel. When not designing garments and sewing, she also spends time cooking among other creative outlets.