The dancers with the white masks, also known as Jabbawockeezs, started their journey back in 2003, when the founding members Kevin Brewer, Joe Larot, and Phil Tayag started to reach out to dance friends in the Southern California Hip-Hop community. The group gained recognition by performing on America’s Got Talent before winning the MTV hip-hop dances reality series America’s Best Dance Crew, they have performed in many concerts across the United States and became well known for what they do.
Facts about Jabbawockeez
- The crew has won $100,000 and a touring contract after being crowned as America’s Best dancers.
- Kara Saun designed the Jabbawockeez costumes.
- They perform Hip-Hop Dance, B-boying and popping.
- The Jabbawockeez made an appearance in Step Up 2 the Streets.
- They toured with New Kids on the Block across the United States.
- Jabbawockeez founded their own Record label called JBWKZ Records, becoming the first record label to create music specifically made for dancers.
- Was featured on Dababys viral music video called “Bop” in 2019.
- The crew are the guest judges on the series fictional TV program Class of the Cupcakes.
- They have competed in the world of dance in 2017 and lost against Ian Eastwood and the Young Lions.
- The group have their own clothing line selling on their website.
Here’s what the Jabbawockeez had to say about the Dance community!
When did their career take off?
The original six who are B-teh, Cristyle, Hid Rainen, Phi, SB, HB were the start of the Jabbawockeez. It all started with a man named Gary Ray Kendall who brought the group together in the first place and was the main reason why the group dances. Back in 2008 was when the group took off their career on America’s best dancers’ season 1 ABDC, becoming America’s best dance crew. Since then, the crew went on their successes doing up performances.
Follow these steps to become successful dance crew:
- Build a bond with the team
Building a strong relationship within the group will help the team grow as a family. This will go far for achieving goals as a group. Maybe doing activities outside the dance studio will help build a stronger bond.
- Having a signature look
Having your own signature look will make you stand out. For example the Jabbawockeez are known to perform with white masks and white gloves. So what’s your group signature look? You can decide as a team and see what ideas you’ll come up with.
- Practice as a team
Take encounters of everyone’s ideas while practising and rehearsing as a team. This will build a trustful bond and it allows everyone to have a say in the choreography. This will also help everyone feel confident and comfortable around each other.
- Be different to the other dancers
What makes your team stand out? For example, on America’s best dancers the Jabbawockeez will start their new choreography with the last dance move they ended their last performances on. This made it interesting for the crowd and judges to watch. So what does everyone have in common in the team? Is there a favourite dance move you guys like to do? Maybe brainstorm this with the team.
Competing will be a good way to get recognition such as the Jabbawockeez started getting recognized because they were competing in dance competitions and started to build a fanbase from that. Who knew that their career would pop off from that.
Poi is a content creator that has a podcast on her YouTube channel called "TheUnderratedRappers". While producing content, she also spends her time filming, editing and working besides artists.