It’s no surprise that music listening soared during the pandemic, with people turning to both old and new music to lift their spirits during the lockdowns. And there was a lot of good music to listen to and some surprising genres hitting the charts (who knew sea shanties would be so popular). 2021 saw a host of hit albums released and a tentative return to live shows; 2022 looks to be just as promising, with some great looking albums set to be released for early 2022 from small and big artists alike. Albums set to be released later in the year are yet to be confirmed, but let’s look at some of the highlights due to be released in early 2022:
- Years and Years – Night Call – Jan 21 : With two out of the three members of the band stepping down, the band now continues, rebranded as Olly Alexander’s solo project. What would have been the band’s third studio album is now Alexander’s first solo album released under the band’s name. Singles Sweet Talker and Crave have already been released, and the album is available for pre-order on the Years & Years official website, along with dates for the accompanying tour.
- DOPE LEMON – Pink Rose Cadillac – Jan 7 : Described as ‘cosmic cowboy music’, Pink Rose Cadillac is the third studio album of Angus Stone, Australian folk rock artist, released under the moniker Dope Lemon. Lead singles Pink Rose Cadillac and Stingray Pete have already been released, and the album is available for pre-order on Dope Lemon’s official website.
- The Wombats – Fix Yourself, Not The World – Jan 14 : British rock group, The Wombats return with their fifth studio album. With singles Method to the Madness, If You Ever Leave, I’m Coming with You, Ready for the High, and Everything I Love Is Going To Die already released, the album is available for pre-order on The Wombats’ official website.
- The Lumineers – Brightside – Jan 14 : The fourth studio album of the American indie-folk band is preceded by its singles Brightside, Big Shot and A.M Radio. The album is available for pre-order on the band’s official website.
- Mitski – Laurel Hell – Feb 4 : Highly popular artist Mitski is back. Her highly anticipated sixth studio album Laurel Hell is set to be released on February 4 and singles Working for the Knife and The Only Heartbreaker have already been released. Described in a press release as ‘a soundtrack for transformation, a map to the place where vulnerability and resilience, sorrow and delight’, the album is available to pre-order on Mitski’s official website.
- Alt-j – The Dream – Feb 11 : The Dream is the band’s fourth studio album and reportedly explores several dark themes. Singles Get Better and U&ME are already available to listen to, and the album can be pre-ordered on the band’s official website.
- Moonchild – Starfruit – Feb 11 : Moonchild are an alternative R&B trio from Los Angeles, and are set to release their fifth studio album, Starfruit, this year. The lead single from the album, Too Good, is out now and the album can be pre-ordered on their official website.
- BROODS – Space Island – Feb 18: Having recently collaborated on a song with Ladyhawke, fellow New Zealand pop duo BROODS are set to release their own album. Their fourth studio album, Space Island, is available to pre-order on their official website with two singles, Piece of My Mind and Heartbreak out now.
- Stereophonics – Oochya! – March 4 : Well-known Welsh rock group Stereophonics are back with their twelfth studio album available to pre-order on their official website with the lead single Do Ya Feel My Love out now. The release of the album is accompanied by a tour featuring Tom Jones and Catfish & The Bottlemen for the Cardiff date.
- Charli XCX – Crash – March 18 : Global pop-star Charli XCX is also back with her fifth studio album this March. Crash is available to pre-order on her official site, as well as tour dates. Singles Good Ones and New Shapes are out now.
- Placebo – Never Let Me Go – March 25 : British alt-rock band Placebo are back with their highly anticipated eighth studio album, their first in over eight years since their last release, Loud Like Love in 2013. Singles Surrounded By Spies and Beautiful James are available now, and the album is available to pre-order on their official website.
- Let’s Eat Grandma – Two Ribbons – April 8 : British pop duo Let’s Eat Grandma return with their third studio album and a small tour of only two dates. With three singles already released (Happy New Year, Two Ribbons and Hall of Mirrors), the album is available to pre-order on their official website.
- Wet Leg – Self-titled – April 8 : Recently formed in 2019, British indie duo Wet Leg are releasing their debut self-titled album on April 8, available to pre-order on their official website.