Lets talk about love.
Long gone are all festivities. It’s the new year and we begin to settle down into our normal lives again, ready to give it our best shot. When all of a sudden: BAMN! Everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) is coloured red and shaped like hearts. How could you forget: Valentine’s Day is coming?
This normally means one of two things: You’re about to spend the day being showered with gifts, affection, and just being treated like the king/queen you are or you’re about to go ahead as if it’s any other day. Ignoring those happy couples around you and telling yourself “I don’t need someone to show me love, I have myself.” Being the latter isn’t all that fun, especially if everyone around you has someone special. You think about taking yourself out, but then you imagine all the looks of pity and decide to stay home with a tub of ice cream instead.
But come on its 2022! It’s time to kick that convention to the curb. Who even made up the idea that Valentine’s Day should be for those in love? I’m just saying, we all deserve to be spoilt, right?
Now don’t get me wrong, I obsess over the heart shaped everything and the anticipation of the ‘what do they have planned?’ just as much as every other die hard romantic out there. The idea of celebrating your relationship is an amazing one, and I’m all for it. I love to spoil my boyfriend when I can, which again is amazing.
All I’m saying is everyone deserves to feel loved, and with the way Valentine’s Day is promoted currently, this isn’t happening. Its outdated and needs to be changed.
Where’s the rule that says we can’t take ourselves out on that flashy date and still end the night full of pleasure? Who says we can’t buy our friends and families flowers and chocolates to show our appreciation?
If you want one woman’s opinion, I think we should push the norms to the side and celebrate love for all its beauty: in every shape and form. Let’s give Valentine’s Day a new meaning, one that we can all be included in.
So why not put down the box of snacks, turn off the Rom-Com, and go show yourself and loved ones some appreciation this valentine’s day.
If you’re stuck for some Valentine’s Day inspo, here’s a list of activities you can enjoy with your special someone (no matter who they are)
- Have a dinner party and exchange ‘secret admirer’ gifts- This twist on a secret Santa Christmas party will be sure to get everyone involved and feeling the love.
- Create a scavenger hunt based on your relationship with the people you are spending it with. This personalised activity not only gets you moving, but it’ll also show those you love just how much you care.
- Take a dance class together. Whether friends, a family member or your significant other, dancing is a fun way to get moving and laughing this Feb 14th.
- Spend the day/evening at home with a home cooked meal and your favourite movies. What better way to spend time with those you love than getting cuddled up under blankets with good food and good entertainment? (Throw in an indulgent dessert for an extra sweet treat)
- Recreate a special memory. What says I love you more than recreating one of the most special moments shared together?
And most importantly just HAVE FUN!
So, who will you be celebrating with this Valentine’s Day?
Lauren is a content writer that is creating her own book and aspires to become a published author. While writing content, she also spends her time performing as an actress for different projects presented to her.