Spiders, witches, vampires, potions, spells, bats, cats, pumpkins, skulls … that time of year is upon us when the moon is full, the sky is dark and you hear the words over and over and over again, you know what I mean right? TRICK OR TREAT!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN PEOPLE!
Halloween is known for dressing up, knocking on doors and receiving sweets and chocolatey treats, but where did Halloween really come from? What is Halloween? And why do we celebrate it?
The ancient Celtic festival of Samhain is where it began and it has lived on for over 2000 years. This traditional holiday has developed over time, as it was originally a time where people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts and evil spirits of all kinds. But now Halloween is no longer a fearful and thrilling holiday, it’s known as a holiday of delicious treats, parties, dress up and excitement.
How did trick or treating become such a thing? Well hundred and hundreds of years ago people dressed up as saints and went door to door, which is the origin of Halloween costumes and trick or treating. And why are pumpkins such a big deal? Well, symbolically the pumpkin is mostly linked to rebirth and fertility and they also symbolise harvest and crops, they fit the season in which Halloween falls every year. And many say that a luminous pumpkin outside houses and a symbol that they want a visit… the question is visit from what? Trick or treaters or spooky spirits?
Halloween is a great time of year so why not try some of these thrilling ideas …
- Pumpkin picking and Carving pumpkins is a top tradition! – No wasting the seeds, make a pumpkin pie, yum!
- ADULTS, don’t worry we thought of you too! Creepy, delicious tasting cocktails night anyone?
- Spooky scary movie marathon? Why not!
- You’re having a PARTY? Don’t forget to make a haunted house and a bowl of potion punch!
- Family time we got ya, homemade Halloween decorations and baked goods are always a great idea.